Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Clean Work Space

Something I have a very hard time with is organization and neatness. I'm perfectly capable of organizing things like calendars, assignments, and the like, but when it comes to physical space, I am not in my element.

As such, my desk sometimes looks like this:


How can anyone work in these conditions? Truthfully, I don't. When my desk gets like this I retreat to my bed or the living room, depending on noise level or how messy the rest of my room is.

Of course, though I am not great at organizing my physical space, the mess bothers me. I can't concentrate surrounded by this. So I do clean it up on a semi-regular basis. Then it looks like this:



Much better. A spot for my computer, books neatly stacked, and papers and junk contained. This is a desk where productivity happens.

So my reluctant adultish pledge here is to maintain the neat space. Admittedly, this is where I normally fail. My friend over at Unf@%! Your Habitat has some tips for that. Basically: once it's clean, make sure you carve 5 minutes out of your day to keep that up. So no more tossing my things on the desk (or floor or wherever) and collapsing immediately into bed.

I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment