Wednesday, December 11, 2013

30 Days of Mental Health Awareness: Day 16


I'm taking part in the 30 Days of Mental Health Awareness Challenge. Every day I'll post in response to their prompts.

Day 16: How many people are you “out” to with your mental illness(es)? Why?

Pretty much everyone I know. I don't walk into a job interview like "hi, I'm Liza and I have anxiety and depression," but I'm not afraid to share it if for some reason the topic comes up.

I do this for two reasons. On a personal level, I think that it helps that people understand that this is going on inside my head, and might affect how I act at times. I don't use it as an excuse to be terrible, but sometimes things happen and it's good to be able to explain why. I also think that it's important that as many people as possible are open about mental illness, so that others can see that we can still be functional, contributing members of society and hopefully eliminate stigma.

No comments:

Post a Comment