Saturday, December 7, 2013

30 Days of Mental Health Awareness: Day 12


I'm taking part in the 30 Days of Mental Health Awareness Challenge. Every day I'll post in response to their prompts.

Day 12: What do you think about your diagnosis in general? (Some ideas are: stereotypes, commonalities, misdiagnosis, over diagnosis)

I'm pretty much at peace with my diagnosis at this point. It feels pretty accurate and it's good to have a name for what I go through.

I was just at therapy yesterday and when we were discussing some things my shrink referred to it as PTSD. I had never thought of it in that light before, even though I associate a lot of my issues with the past trauma of being bullied. But trauma doesn't have to be from a single event, like war or a horrible accident or something. It can be from a buildup of things over time. I think that cleared up a stereotype or misconception for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment